:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Author: hellekin
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
On 12/06/2014 03:31 AM, chris wrote:
> antisocial is an emotive word, I don't see anything wrong with non-free
> and contrib

*** Well, the "wrong" with non-free, is that it's antisocial.

> don't forget the "free" in "non-free" is "free" as in freedom not "free"
> as in beer!

*** Because non-free concerns free-as-in-freedom, non-free also concerns
non-free-as-in-freedom, and removing freedom by external force instead
of auto-coercion is exactly what is antisocial. I can't even start to
imagine why you thought I was talking about gratuity.

> This exactly describes things like binary blob firmware, calling this
> antisocial is no way to get a hardware vendor on-board...

*** On the contrary, I think nobody except sociopaths like to be seen as
being antisocial, and therefore hardware vendors would reconsider their
position if they could see the problem with their current antisocial
behavior.

When nVidia, for example, requires a whole group of brilliant hackers to
dedicate their lives to reverse-engineer their hardware, instead of
providing free-software-friendly cooperation, they're hurting society:
these hackers could instead work on way more interesting stuff that
keeping up with the obfuscation of a company to the sole advantage of,
for example, their Microsoft partner, who has a long and documented
history of stifling innovation and collaborating with criminal NSA, for
example.

That's what I mean by antisocial, and I surely hope that it will be
taken into account after Devuan 1.0 release.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/