:: Re: [unSYSTEM] CoinJoin Distributio…
Author: Odinn Cyberguerrilla
To: Gregory Maxwell
CC: System undo crew, cozzlovan
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] CoinJoin Distribution {funds}
Hello,

First, Gregory, thanks for the very fast response. I greatly appreciate
your reply on this which I've been tracking for some time.

On 2014-10-08 16:57, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> To start on your question, (1) I've been talking to Amir about
> releasing part of the funds (10 BTC of it, IIRC) for Dark Wallet's
> work which I understand is pretty good. As expressed in the thread,
> the emphasis has always been on practically useful tools. The first
> coinjoins were done years ago, and had been done many times via irc
> before the coinjoin post and the thread. The gap is making them
> available to ordinary users.

Thank you, this is good to hear.

> (2) I also have some small amounts earmarked for Andrew Polestra's
> coinjoiner (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=432121.0 which
> beyond being pretty useful resulted in discovering some weaknesses
> which must be avoided, like avoiding theft when two users want to pay
> the same amount to the same address), Petertodd's dust-b-gone, and
> work on coinshuffle which didn't yet seem mature enough... Before
> doing a payout I'll likely go through the discussions and suggest some
> other small bounties for other contributors too-- though I haven't
> discussed this with the other signers. I'd also like to do the first
> bounty payout as a coinjoin itself. The bulk would be remaining for
> future work as there is still a long way to go in terms of usability
> and freedom from centralized servers in all implementations. I
> started some notes a while back at
> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/state_of_coinjoin if you've
> been doing your own research on the state of affairs please feel free
> to update that page with more citations.

Thank you, and I'll look more into that to see if there is something
that would warrant being added to that wiki.

> (on the timing part of 1) Due diligence requires that I at least
> _test_ darkwallet's functionality, and it's never been working on
> testnet when I've attempted to use it. When I last spoke to Amir
> about it there was currently some ongoing revision for a new version,
> and I was asked to wait, so I've been waiting to hear back again. I'll
> be glad to try it out whenever someone asks me to do so.
>
> (3) the coinshuffle work (which is a lot closer to my original
> proposal--
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139581.msg1488128#msg1488128
> -- than the simplified version in the coinjoin post) may eventually be
> something that is universally supported, but it's complex and probably
> needs to first be developed and matured outside of any single wallet.
>
> (I'm wondering if there is a reason you did not send this message to
> the other signers on the bounty)

I had some trouble finding all their addresses, my apologies for not
being broader in terms of the cc's on this. This is great to hear, I
will continue to track progress.