:: Re: [unSYSTEM] CoinJoin Distributio…
Author: Gregory Maxwell
To: Odinn Cyberguerrilla
CC: System undo crew, cozzlovan
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] CoinJoin Distribution {funds}
Greetings.

To start on your question, (1) I've been talking to Amir about
releasing part of the funds (10 BTC of it, IIRC) for Dark Wallet's
work which I understand is pretty good. As expressed in the thread,
the emphasis has always been on practically useful tools. The first
coinjoins were done years ago, and had been done many times via irc
before the coinjoin post and the thread. The gap is making them
available to ordinary users.

(2) I also have some small amounts earmarked for Andrew Polestra's
coinjoiner (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=432121.0 which
beyond being pretty useful resulted in discovering some weaknesses
which must be avoided, like avoiding theft when two users want to pay
the same amount to the same address), Petertodd's dust-b-gone, and
work on coinshuffle which didn't yet seem mature enough... Before
doing a payout I'll likely go through the discussions and suggest some
other small bounties for other contributors too-- though I haven't
discussed this with the other signers. I'd also like to do the first
bounty payout as a coinjoin itself. The bulk would be remaining for
future work as there is still a long way to go in terms of usability
and freedom from centralized servers in all implementations. I
started some notes a while back at
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/state_of_coinjoin if you've
been doing your own research on the state of affairs please feel free
to update that page with more citations.

(on the timing part of 1) Due diligence requires that I at least
_test_ darkwallet's functionality, and it's never been working on
testnet when I've attempted to use it. When I last spoke to Amir
about it there was currently some ongoing revision for a new version,
and I was asked to wait, so I've been waiting to hear back again. I'll
be glad to try it out whenever someone asks me to do so.

(3) the coinshuffle work (which is a lot closer to my original
proposal-- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139581.msg1488128#msg1488128
-- than the simplified version in the coinjoin post) may eventually be
something that is universally supported, but it's complex and probably
needs to first be developed and matured outside of any single wallet.

(I'm wondering if there is a reason you did not send this message to
the other signers on the bounty)