:: Re: [Libbitcoin] Why the new protoc…
Author: Amir Taaki
To: libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] Why the new protocol is cool
I agree with you totally, I got very excited when Eric was showing me
through the design. It's definitely very well thought out.

The only thing is that you have address prefix search paginated by block
heights.

The current database scheme has 2 databases:

* history_scan_database
Scanning from a certain block height (to get updates) by prefix
is fast.
Fetching the entire history for an address from 0 is very slow.
Paginating on block height is constant speed.

* history_database
The more classic scheme of fetching a history for a fixed address.
Doesn't not support prefix.
Has a different pagination scheme which is constant speed.
Using block heights to paginate would mean linear speed indexing.

And it has its uses (i.e restoring new wallet). I wouldn't expect you to
use the scan database in all scenarios.

http://blog.coinkite.com/post/97397052686/public-obelisk-server-for-the-community

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2go7qm/devs_be_sure_to_test_your_bitcoin_apidata/

https://wiki.unsystem.net/en/index.php/Libbitcoin/Blockchain/htdb_slab_Performance

we've got some good promotion based on the speed of fetching address
history recently. So it's still something I feel we should support like
if you use the server on the backend as a private API with
encryption/signing support. Some people don't need the extra security,
privacy and don't want to do the SPV processing. For Darkwallet that's
great, and we want to move to this new protocol.

Since the fetch_history has its own semantics (query based on full
address only- not prefix) and returns results different to what's
expected, I thought it'd be apt to separate into its own call. But let
me know what's the best option here.