:: Re: [Bricolabs] Bricophone?
Author: Jean-Noël Montagné
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Bricophone?

>Did it attract nlnet funding nevertheless?

yes, for one year, just enough to organise a workshop.

> > it's just to find engineers who accept to work on such a device with the
>> minimal feature of text messaging only.....
>
>Was text messaging only a turn-off?

partly; at the beginning of the project, twitter
was not so popular...now people understand better
that it's possible to communicate by text, and
teenagers are the first to understand.

Another point : some interested engineers wanted
only to build code working on a cellular phone or
computer. But such a device must be as
independant as possible from the mobile phone
business, mobile phone industry, mobile phone
hardware ressources or networks. I didn't wanted
to go in this way.

I look for a hardware completely independant from
the phone networks, which can use any radio
frequency, for example 27 mhz, 433 mhz, 700 mhz,
and all ism frequencies, but eventuallly laser
light, sound, ultra sound or any wave system.

I would also dream of an "analog system mesh
protocol", rewrite of the Télégraphe de Chappe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Chappe

the project is to make a new Chappe telegraph,
analog or digital, and your device is the tower.

JN