:: Re: [unSYSTEM] BANK RUN! - P2P Fiat…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Benjamin Cordes
Aan: System undo crew
Onderwerp: Re: [unSYSTEM] BANK RUN! - P2P Fiat-Bitcoin Exchange
some good points here.

* on the international level we have irreversible SWIFT, yes. but,
SWIFT is owned by an international regime. so its very unlike the
internet as a network. its an important tool for sanctions etc. you
can't just join the network. if you're very rich you might get a
license and join as a member. up to now the international financial
network and the internet evolved separately.

* you also have the CLS group settling between fiat money. to trade
any type of money on the wire you need special accounts with banks or
central banks. quite a few big corporations have their own banks, but
usually you can't interface to their API's. large volume you can't do
by hand.

* there are some attempts at combining financial networks and the
internet via credit cards. that's what eCommerce is largely using (
paypal is a separate case). stripe.com is an internet frontend for the
credit card network. but this network is owned by Visa/Mastercard and
used as a political tool as well. if you're Ku-Klux-Klan you're ok,
but not if you're a political activist the US has on a list.

* if you do something like localbitcoins for fiat (you operate a small
exchange), you are going to get shutdown if you do any significant
volume. you have to comply with AML. as a maker of a market you match
buys and sells for other people. it is in fact illegal to exchange
things for other people, as you need a license. if you match them only
for yourself you have localbitcoins for that. bitcoin.de is very
similar (only that they take fees for I don't know what).

* exchanges which are scattered are totally inefficient. there is just
no way to match orders not in a central point. what you can do is have
gateways to that central point, but centrality is what are exchanges
are about. imagine you have 100 exchanges - which one should I chose?
that with the lowest fees and highest throughput. the two are related.
high volume means little transaction cost. p2p exchange would mean
that everyone node operates an exchange. but 99/100 from those nodes
are uninteresting as they don't have volume. and if you do this over a
block-chain its even worse. p2p exchanges are failed projects and will
continue to fail. it really helps if you study auction systems. this
stuff looks trivial, but it is not. kind of like digital cash.