:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Video card suggest…
Author: Holger Beetz
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Video card suggestions?
Hey Steven,

ATI cards do not play nicely with any of the free distribution since they
rely on firmware blobs to be initialized by the free radeon driver.

Depending on your needs (e.g. enough power to play games like Quake /
UT2k4) I would either suggest a passively cooled GeForce 9500GT or one of
the faster "brothers" like GeForce 9800GT. They sell very cheap at e-bay.
If your soundcard does not work I suspect you are using an on-board sound
right ?

Most soundcards (even USB ones) should work nicely with dynebolic. A used
soundblaster would do.

About compiz effects I am not shure but I guess with an NVidia card and
Nouveau, the basic stuff (3D effects in Gnome) should work.

As for making an own dynebolic spin-off you should search a bit for
remastering a Debian Live CD / DVD.
IIRC there was some discussion on remastering dynebolic on the list itself.

For dyne there is currently only this mailing list and no forum. If you are
looking out for a more active project you should consider using Trisquel as
well:
http://trisquel.info/en

HTH,
Holger