:: Re: [Frei0r] [Mlt-devel] build erro…
Author: Dan Dennedy
To: Minimalistic plugin API for video effects
CC: mlt-devel, Carl Karsten
Subject: Re: [Frei0r] [Mlt-devel] build error
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> re all,
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> Can you try again, please? I noticed that some autotool helper scripts
>> were not included in git that are normally included with a tarball. In
>> particular, it looks like ltmain.sh is needed to overcome this libtool
>> version problerm. I checked in 4 files that 'autoreconf ---force
>> --install' reported as installed but that were in .gitignore. :-(
>
> they are not supposed to be versioned with the code: they change as
> autoconf / automake / libtool version changes, so they should be always
> autogenerated. to call autoreconf -i is the routine with fresh
> repository code, that's why they are in .gitignore

By that reasoning, then configure and m4/* should not be in there
either. I think when someone asked about this earlier you said you
wanted to let people checkout and run configure without having to
generate it. So, which is it? It has to be all-or-nothing and not
halfway as it has been. If you are going to support configure without
having to run autoreconf, then the configure helpers need to be there
to address the problem that was reported. If you are going to require
autoreconf, then configure will be overwritten and there is no reason
to have it checked in. As the project leader, you can make this
decision, but then I also expect you to make a new release very soon.

--
+-DRD-+