:: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Author: John Hopkins
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Howdy Armin!

> my 2005 MA thesis on Technological Determinism in Media Art should still be
> enlightening reading http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/1214

Chapter Four: The Discourse of High Media Art provides a good survey of the root
sources to be sure...!

> For the rough and ready, 45 RPM has some condensed presentations of issues
> http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/1192

this one I had, but hadn't added it to the class possibilities, thanks for
reminding me of that... it's very applicable...

> My PhD dissertation on New Tendencies remains unpublished. However, I am happy
> to do lectures on that all over the world and hopefully a publisher can be found
> to turn it into a book ... some issues are presented here
> http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/1365

I find your observation "An interesting thread which was produced by my research
more as a side-result than by intent was to see how many sciences during the
1950s and 1960s were actually becoming "cyborg sciences"."

Just looking at the preeminent position of MIT in the
Military-industrial-academic complex, the 'men' of that time were being farmed
out from the MIT student engineer production machine in service of the MIA
complex -- having done their (classified!) thesis research in direct support of
the Complex -- to situations across the US -- to every corner of the industrial,
scientific, research, applications, military, civilian, political, gov't.
milieu... The effects are still pronounced (Silicon Valley being a singular
example!), though the origins of the effect are largely lost on contemporary
pundits, users/consumers of technology, and venture capitalists...

thanks!
jh

John Hopkins
Watching the Tao rather than watching the Dow!
http://neoscenes.net/
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/