:: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Author: Tapio Makela
To: Bricolabs
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] texts: IOT et al...
Hi John,

Is Boulder still a mixture of super sporty shiny people blended with hippie nostalgia? :)

For the course, this essay I wrote back in 2000 could be of some use:
"Re-reading digitality through scientific discourses of cybernetics: Fantasies of disembodied users and embodied computers"
http://www.hum.utu.fi/oppiaineet/mediatutkimus/tutkimus/proceedings_pienennetty.pdf

Wendy's work is also insightful for seminars, maybe not introductory lecture series:
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/MCM/people/facultypage.php?id=10109

In lecture series as an introduction to critical HCI tend to use this book by Paul Dourish:
http://www.dourish.com/embodied/
(though some of the examples there are somewhat outdated, it works very well in teaching).

Kathy Hayles in my opinion is 70% brilliant, yet where she enters posthumanistic discourse there is also plenty to be critical about.
Same goes for Tiziana Terranova's work. Both are nevertheless good reads in seminar contexts.

cheers!

Tapio