:: Re: [Frei0r] debianize it
Author: IOhannes m zmoelnig
To: frei0r
Subject: Re: [Frei0r] debianize it
On 2012-07-12 09:00, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> so it seems that now we have some people that are willing to really
> maintain these packages in debian.

so in order to proceed from here, i would like to suggest:

- - only released versions should be packaged.
i find packaging git snapshots a pain in the ass.
also i think that frei0r is mature enough, so there is no real need
for packages to pretend to be bleeding edge with daily versions like
"1.1.22git20091109-1.2"
as we know, the current version of frei0r is still 1.3, which is not
necessarily uptodate either. so it would be great if our
release-manager could prepare a new 1.4 release (hint, hint :-)).
release early, release often!

- - upstream and packaging should be kept separate.
i'm packaging both my own software and 3rd party software.
generally i find it easier to keep packaging clean if it doews not
intermingle with upstream: decisions have to be made from different povs.

- - upstream and packaging can and should be kept in separate repositories.
this is surely a matter of personal taste, but for me it follows quit
"naturally" from the 2 previous suggestions, to even keep the upstream
and the packaging repository separated.
it also makes branch juggling easier...

mfgdasr
IOhannes