:: Re: [Bricolabs] a question for bric…
Author: Jerneja Rebernak
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] a question for brico list
Dear all,

I have notived that I am often in one-to one mode style of networking than
one to many...but these posts made me want to add somethin.

For the last years I've noticed that organisations which are run and owned
by artists and cultural managers especially in Slovenia, however
independent in their official title, are becoming a different type of
public institution, where funding dominates their internal logic. Otherwise
they aren't able to sustain themselves, but they are always ready to
negotiate. and this just makes me angry.

So I have felt rather disappointed as I have not founded or found yet a
structure that would allow me to take a few steps forward and reflect on
the cultural experimentation that in its logic strives for sustainability,
which could possibly not be measured only in short presentations to
festivals audiences, which are still being seen by cultural project funders
as some sort of stages – and not processes. taking away from this context
rare examples.

the bricolist and projects that are presented here are my continous immense
source of inspiration!

I have been lucky enough to have managed to visit friends in Asia,
especially Honf, Indonesia and Sabaw in the Philippines. And I am glad I
had the opportunity to collaborate with Atteqa for the new media mapping
Pakistan research study in the last years.

This year was then collaborately writing proposals for the project called
Migrating art academies MIGAA ( Lithuanian academy of arts) where the core
idea of the residency was to host a nomadic residency project across
different countries. for which we tried out a Europe-Asia partnership,
however that failed to materialize in the way we planned.

Some other project i was working on was funding for the next meeting of the
Transitory Network Forum, co-organized by Museum of transitory art from
Ljubljana, Ciant from Prague and Amber platform Istanbul, with Third space,
Belgrade, for which I connected as well with Interferenze in Italy. This
latter one is a festival set in Irpinia,a rural region in south of Italy,
that highlights technology-rurality connections.

I am still trying to engage in a collaboration with the festival in 2012,
even if funding for that specific meet-up was not approved, Gustaff,
Common Room Bandung was also in touch with Leandro Pisano and perhaps some
Bricos exchange could happen there. I will elaborate further on this one,
as some more funding needs to be approved.

Being partially involved with the New Media cross border project, a
Slovenia-Croatia initiative, hosted by ACT and Kruno Jost I had the
opportunity to finally meet Vicky this summer. So glad this has also
finally happened. And finally, in Kiblix, after some years we had finally a
discussions again with Kruno Jost about the Bricoboat, and other possible
ideas for infrastructures as mobile labs. More ground for Brico networking
in Čakovec, in Croatia coming up…

At Kiblix festival held recently in Maribor,Slovenia and organized by
Kibla, Marc Duseiller, (Hackteria.org) and SGMK Switzerland (DIY makeaway)
created an open lab with educational programmes that run for about 10 days
non-stop… There was also an opportunity for Tobias Hoffmann to attend a
conference at the same time on the Internet of Things as well where parallel
to super business oriented talks, social-educational role of IOT was also
highlighted also thanks to the overall concept of conference co-created by
Rob and the Opcomm centre in Ljubljana. timely connection happen there!

Just to continue, the multimedia institute Kibla showed that open lab
projects were becoming integrated in its Kiblix festival structure, but for
next year, as it will be European capital of culture, here in Maribor the
festival organizers won't allow a structure like Open, or Lab in their way
and will instead create a purely BioArt exhibition that is more aesthetical
than discursive…so moving away from the concept of open platforms…again!

and as of now, I am searching for collaborations, and engagement in various
projects which would made me slowly move away from the dependency of
public, semi-private, private institutions…and yes, it keeps a great
motivation to be part of the list, observant as of now, but ultimately very
attentive!

till soon,

Jerneja