:: Re: [dyne:bolic] how to customize t…
Author: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] how to customize the application menu?

re all,

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Marco Vladimir Lemus Yañez wrote:

> http://www.freedesktop.org/standars/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd
> It's not working, but maybe this is a way to get something, maybe we
> must try to learn more things about gnome and then decide to keep it
> or change it, that's my opinion.

yes, the problem is that this system has been designed only for
automatic menu population, from the point of view of distributions
that are made automatically, instead of crafted by hand like
dyne:bolic... so the result is a system where, to change position and
categories of applications in the menu, you have to look for their
.desktop files and edit them one by one. That's unmaintainable!

Now, also judging from the response here, I think we can wisely step
back from gnome2 and return to Xfce, so it won't be anymore a beta :)

Still let me state that the reason why I wanted to try gnome2 is that
its configuration system is really good! it presents a panel full of
selections and most importantly has "accessibility" tools for people
with different abilities: like braille, moving mouse with joystick and
such. These things are lacking into Xfce ... :/

Do you think that an hybrid approach here can be interesting?
something based on gnome2 for configuration and helper programs, but
with an Xfce panel ? I'll try experimenting on that...

ciao!

--
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39