:: [dyne:bolic] New User
Author: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [dyne:bolic] New User
Hi!

I'm a new d:b user. I have used MS-DOS since 1985 and Windows since 1997. But the Windows activation process makes me nervous. Suppose Microsoft goes out of business, and I need to reinstall Windows?

So I have a question: Can you tell me how to run Internet Explorer on d:b, please?

LOL Just kidding, folks!

Anyway, I'd been thinking about switching to open source for many years. I am already using many great programs: Emacs (since 2000), GIMP, Firefox, OpenOffice, MPlayer. I still need to find a password manager, a personal finance program comparable to Quicken, and an OS. The inability to view Flash is inconvenient, but maybe Flash content can be converted to Gnash and viewed that way?

I downloaded d:b because it is intended for old, slow computers. I'm trying it on my oldest computer, Pentium III 500MHz with 128MB RAM. I was really happy that it loaded and works. And I found an even older computer at work: Pentium II MMX, and it runs on that!

I'd like to help this community by testing, writing / editing docs and creating updated packages (Emacs23.2 for starters, once I figure out how). I do some coding (scripting) but it's mostly in MS-DOS scripting language or a "Variant" of Basic. (Users of Basic might get that joke -- Variant is a undesirable catch-all data type in VB and VBS.) One thing I noticed is that the packages that I downloaded from Extras have a .exe extension that has to be removed (renamed) before they'll get loaded. Perhaps that info should be added to the website?

Before I end, I want to thank everyone for all the hard work that you put into this. Well done!

- RZ
Recent Tabs Extension
(7 unread) att.net Mail, zeitr ...
Pandora Radio - Listen to Free ...