:: Re: [dyne:bolic] New release progre…
Author: jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] New release progress?

hi Ricardo,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:18:07PM +0100, ricardo lafuente wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've fiddled with Dyne:Bolic and found it incredibly useful for my
> purposes. I would love to join the efforts by creating some modules
> (esp. relating to Python).

please go ahead! as they include free software we can host them on our
repository on ftp.dyne.org/dynebolic/modules

i hope in a near future to be able to mirror there also the many
modules that other people has developed, meanwhile let us know about
your developments on http://lab.dyne.org/DyneModules

> I remember reading on this list that Dyne:3 was coming; is this
> going to break backwards compatibility with Dyne:II modules? If so,
> i would rather wait until there's a dyne:3 beta to start hacking :o)

whenever it will exist, dyne:3 will NOT break backwards compatibility
with dyne:II modules, this is a main objective for it. It might not be
accomplished in 100% of the cases (as libraries included may change
APIs), but still the community contribution in this sense is so wide
and precious that extra attention will be put in keeping compatibility

dyne:3 development proceeds slowly, meanwhile the pure:dyne project is
gaining momentum, moving forward from our platform to develop packages
that work on Debian based systems.

it's almost a year now that dyne:bolic 2.5.2 was released: in this
time i've been studying Debian, Gnewsense and BLAG systems to realise
what can be kept common among these distributions and eventually which
is the best one to base dyne:3 on.

so far my opinion is that BLAG offers the best platform ever, relying
on the huge Fedora community repository Jeff Moe has built a
remarkably efficient system and dyne:3 would definitely benefit
inheriting its repositories and efforts.

OTOH also the Debian community is moving forward at a good pace and
our cousins doing pure:dyne can contribute back quite some software
packages if we keep compatibility with Debian.

I'm still watching the horizon and planning carefully before moving
any step, mostly because dyne:II still works very well esp. on old
computers, which is a main goal for the distribution.

another reason why i'm leaving it for later is that, while
Ogg/Theora/Vorbis multimedia formats are being established for web
distribution of audio and video, i'll be busy on development of
http://freej.dyne.org as a vision mixer and multimedia framework for
mixing and streaming of content.

of course contributions to d:b 2 and 3 development are welcome, as
prototypes or fixes to the present and future system, be sure many
people here will have a look and as usually dispense good suggestions.

ciao

- --

jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112 64D0 7B64 3184 B534 0B5E