:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Skype 2.x with vid…
Author: jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Skype 2.x with video support on dyne:bolic

hi fruity et all,

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 10:00:40AM +0100, fruity wrote:
> I tell you why...
>
> those are the standard C++ librarioes, you cannot have multiple
> different libraries of that kind or they will conflict. 3/4 of the
> system depend on those libraries so it mean updating the whole
> dyne:bolic.

i think you are exagerating a bit here. there are ways to override
linkage of libraries with new ones for modules, for example using
ldconfig environmental variables, pre-linking or static linking.

regarding the broader issue of VOIP:

i recommend to start avoiding the use of skype, as it is NOT an open
source technology and as you see we cannot distribute it ready on our
CD: instead included in dyne:II are Kiax and Iaxcomm pre-configured to
use BLASTERISK - at the time being working well for voice, needing
some more development for video.

my opinion is that development efforts should be driven in the
direction of substituting skype with a really free open source
technology, so that besides having a VOIP system people can build
their own local TELCO instead of being dominated by foreign
corporations owning the communication infrastructure.

a good start for developers (on all levels, anyone out there wanting
to start a new independent telco for your community?) is the excellent
work people at IT46.se are doing: http://www.it46.se/voip4d/voip4d.php

ciao

- --
(_ http://jaromil.dyne.org _)