:: Re: [dyne:bolic] d:b-development
Author: Martin Ahnelöv
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] d:b-development

mån 2007-12-10 klockan 12:31 +0100 skrev fruity:
> Martin Ahnelöv wrote:
> > Hello!
> > Now that Jaromil have loosened his grip of dyne:bolic, where can I go to
> > help out? Is there a mailing list, svn, etc (looking at
> > dev.dynebolic.org gave nothing) ?
> >
> > I think it's time everyone who's interested should join in.
> >
> > Gasten
> >

> Hi, I also think is time to have a discussion about the future development.
> I beleive there is no need for a separate mailing list.

You're right. It matters to all of us, and this list is fairly technical
as it is.

> As far as is my knowledge on d:b there are few mayor tasks.
> 1st of all I belive that an automated build script should be written,
> not to have another gentoo-like, but to facilitate multi plattform ( ppc
> is missing for d:b ) and debugging ( keeping build logs ).
> At our place I have about 6 machines to setup a small build farm(dyne is
> shipped with distcc so this will help a lot, and btw 3 are already up
> and running).
> Both me and J have being tring ptxdist, t2 and jhalfs but there where on
> some too much options on others too less ( t2 is a framework of slow lua
> scripts ).
> If anyone have better experience with one of this 3 tools let me know, I
> whould be glad to learn a bit more than what I did by myself.
> We don't have a pubblic ip but I can setup a tunnel forward from others
> pubblic machines I have, if is a issue, I whould also invite anyone who
> has some spare time to come by in NL to visit us :), we don't lack on
> guest space :).

haha, careful maybe I'll come

> Other things, the bootstrap procedure don't need to be changed exept for
> adding nfs-boot, a linux installer other than the windows copy-paste,
> reconizing disks formatting mounting coping "grubbing" might be done;
> another issue imho whould be adding the boot options on the ascii
> bootscreen, I met a lot of ppl that told me more or less the same
> things, one of -what if I have a rotten hd that I want to save and dyne
> scan it at boot and rott'it up more?- my answer have always been to read
> the docs, but if someone is not online and does not have a windows or a
> second pc to open the doc on the cd is going to be triky ( unpluggin the
> hardrive would be the simplest )

Well, that low-level stuff creeps me out. i'd be glad if someone who
knows what they're doing maintain that. adding common boot options would
be great - I think acpi etc are already there, but "irqpoll" for some
sata-hd's would be good. a one liner desc about each one would be nice
too.

> For the hosting space I whould not boder J yet and as I said before I
> can setup a tunnel to work on the machines here.
>
> So who is up for it?
>
> Dyne has also a chat channel #dyne on irc.hinezumi.org ( ssl only on
> port 9999 ) I'm always there for realtime discussions :)
>
> Hope my opinion above don't boder nobody and I belive works should get
> on ASAP.

Looks good. just wanna add one thing.

We should try to split up the modules in as many packages as possible so
they'll get easier for many people to maintain. rigth now we got one for
video, audio, net etc. I think it would be nice to have one for - say -
video/veejay, video/editing, video/libs etc (same for audio). How 'bout
that?

Gasten