:: Re: [dyne:bolic] my nvidia module
Author: David Wood
New-Topics: Re: [dyne:bolic] A short lesson on redirecting error messages
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] my nvidia module
> Works great for me, cant remember what nvidia card
> I have (Im on my laptop) but its a later one.
> ldconfig gives a >few link errors

Yup that's to do with me copying the files into
location, rather than
just linking them -don't think this is a problem
though. I could
rewrite it to just link those files, directly into
the module's /opt/nvidia/
path though to stop those messages coming up.

> and when loading the module at boot there are a few
> can't create dir errors

It's creating dirs that are already there to make sure
it can put the
driver components in the right places -I need to add
something to these
lines in the rc script so that it checks first to
make this a little
more elegant (still a n00b with linux scripting!).
What it does now
isn't harmful though.

> but it still seems to work fine for me, have you

tested it > without
a nest?

I haven't no -if anyone does I'd be interested to hear
how it goes. I
*think* you'd need to run nvidia-settings each time
you boot, as your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is stored in the nest, but I might
be mistaken as to
how the nest is working here.

> would you like me to redirect any feedback to you?

Yup that's fine !

As a prediction, I'm not sure that this driver will
work for really
older cards -it's the latest driver, so it'll only
work with the cards on
nvidia's compatability list on their website. I'm
guessing people
running ancient tech may have problems because of
this.

> Great work, thanks,
> Ryan

Cheers, I'm rather happy with it =)

Next port of call for me is getting a version of
Veejay running that
fullscreens on the TV-Out rather than across both the
CRT screen and the
TV-Out . I've been having problems with the
veejay-1.0 dyne module so
believe I'll have to compile my own from the current
SVN where it's
been fixed. Once that happens I'll be extremely
pleased, as the combo of
Dyne and OpenGL should provide a nicely stable and
speedy OS to work
with live.
If anyone's already walking this route and has any
modules themselves
then please drop a note back !

Cheers,

Dave