:: Re: [dyne:bolic] New db user commen…
Author: G_P
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] New db user comments
Bomis wrote:
> Maybe I should just use my Mint CD (basically Ubuntu with non-free
> necessities on-board) for flash-y browsing, and use d:b as is for what
> it's meant for -- making art.

That is what I do. I use Ubutnu for my office work & I use dyne for
multimedia. It is not a normal distro, it is a tool. I think it
confuses some people who try to treat it like or turn it into a normal
distro. With reference to below, some of what we are talking about is
really hacking d:b rather than just using it for what it was designed -
fun but a little more challenging.

> All that .deb/.rpm/.tgz/midnight
> commander/package/repository/install/module stuff is VERY confusing to
> those of us who are trying to cross over from the dark side (if you know
> what I mean), where one downloads an .exe file, then clicks on it, and
> you're done.

That's not so hard when you know how. I guess I used DOS before
windows & learned to love the command line. You should be able to set
up the file manager rox so that if you clicked a slackware package it
would install it, if that helped. When you get used to Linux installers
you will find that they are not *nearly* as messy as windows ones.

regards

Guy