:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Firewall?
Author: Mike Webb
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Firewall?
On 7/11/07, G_P <sayhi2guy@???> wrote:
> You can tell there is no firewall running by typing "iptables -L" which
> shows there are no rules in place.
>
> I usually use guarddog firewall...Installing a slackware package with
> 'installpkg' works fine - you run it with /usr/bin/guarddog
>
> hope this helps
> Guy

Thanks! It helped out very much. I've used guarddog with Puppy Linux,
so was somewhat familiar with how it worked. I will say that at least
the version I used did some different things.

The first package I found was guarddog-2.4.0-i486-1asz.tgz, designed
for Slackware 10.2. It installed OK, but I had two problems; 1)
/usr/bin/guarddog didn't work. I finally found the executable at
/opt/kde/bin/guarddog . 2) When I found it and tried to run it, I got
a library dependency error; it needed libidn.so.11. So back to
http://www.linuxpackages.net I went. Found and installed
libidn-0.5.12-i486-1pcx.tgz. After that install, guarddog ran, but I
got a lot of "undefined mimetype/servicetype" errors while it was
setting up. But it did launch the GUI app, and I was able to do the
firewall setup.

Thought I should at least report what happened so anyone else wanting
to set up guarddog firewall will know what to be prepared to expect.

Thanks again,
Mike