:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Firewall?
Author: G_P
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Firewall?
Mike Webb wrote:
> I've been reviewing the dyne:bolic documentation, and don't see
> anything that tells me whether a firewall is already enabled or not.
> Opening Qps, I cannot find an entry that shows iptables resident (if
> that's where iptables would be found) and don't find anything in the
> menus that shows any kind of automated firewall setup procedure.
>
> My DSL modem has a built-in router/firewall, so I have some protection
> already. But I'd like to know if there's a firewall already active in
> dyne:bolic Linux (I'm running 2.4.2) or if I need to set one up.
>
> Thanks!

Hi

You can tell there is no firewall running by typing "iptables -L" which
shows there are no rules in place.

I usually use guarddog firewall. I can get the source code to compile
on d:b but it fails at 'make install' at the moment so I haven't been
able to create a dyne module. Installing a slackware package with
'installpkg' works fine - you run it with /usr/bin/guarddog The other
alternative is a firewall script. You can download one from the net or
run guarddog & use the 'export' function to generate one from the
settings you have chosen.

hope this helps

Guy