:: Re: [dyne:bolic] dans dyne wish lis…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Maxam CPC
À: dynebolic mailinglist
Sujet: Re: [dyne:bolic] dans dyne wish list
I think this is more about talented people enthusiastically making an effort
to improve the software, rather than money. What good will a funding drive
do for the software, other than allow some people to buy their way into this
project (which at the moment is mostly attributed to Jaromil only - and I
don't see that changing ever). Do you really need things like a PHP forum,
with "Gurus" dispensing advice, in a sort of paid-up hierarchy? I also use
DamnSmallLinux, and that project has its followers who contribute money and
software modules as proposed in this case. If Dyne wants to compete with
those and other "big boys", it will need money. But how important is it to
walk down that well-trodden path? Plus it might be offensive to some people,
when you try to start selling them Dynebolic badges and T-shirts, and
tiresome for you.

OK, updating the Linux core and other system essentials is going to be a
continuing evil that you will want to spend a minimum on, because it's a job
that doesn't go away. Software modules contributed for free by users are an
excellent idea.

However, what is important for Dynebolic is that it retains a sense of
underlying purpose, and that is something which is a matter of judgement and
not money. For instance, Dynebolic is meant for multimedia users with
exacting requirements (newest for them is not necessarily the best). The way
to add value to this project is not to keep adding stuff, but to make it
uniquely fit for purpose. Somebody like Jaromil needs to sit down with a
CHECKLIST with each of the different types of multimedia user, and discuss
their needs and the extent to which Dynebolic meets those needs. For
instance, is anybody using trackers? I think not.

Would it be good to have any LADSPA effects that can be chained, and the
effects assigned to individual tracks, and their parameters automatable in
real time by MIDI controller? Just implementing exactly the right features
would instantly add thousands of users to Dynebolic, and then if you need to
you could ask them to contribute $0.50, and raise enough cash for whatever
project you want. But you can't just add whatever you want. You've got to
ask the musicians, and that probably is best done by way of a discussion at
KVR Audio. Before you do so, it's not time to put out the collection box.

Just some thoughts...