:: [dyne:bolic] booting from /home
Author: Josh Lawrence
Subject: [dyne:bolic] booting from /home
Hello,

Here's my problem - I am running out of disk space on my debian
installation on the root partition. My home partition, however, has
gobs of disk space. I usually keep dyne installed on my hard disk,
but I would like to move it to my /home directory. I've extracted the
/dyne directory to my home (which is "/home/josh"), but grub won't
boot it. My /home partition is /dev/hda6. So here's how the relevant
portion of my menu.lst looks:

title   dyne:II
root    (hd0,5)
kernel  /home/josh/dyne/linux root=/dev/ram0 rw load_ramdisk=1
max_loop=64 vga=791
initrd  /home/josh/dyne/initrd.gz
savedefault

This doesn't boot - says "file not found". So I edited the grub menu
directly, using tab completion to see why it couldn't find that file.
It seems that (hd0,5) is good, and referring to /home is good, but
things fall apart when you get past /home. Can grub not descend into
that many directories?

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com