:: Re: [dyne:bolic] How do I ripp a tr…
Author: Richard Hamel-Smith
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] How do I ripp a track from a CD on Dyne?
As far as I understand it, there are some libraries you need to have
installed to run GNOME programs.

This is in addition to the GTK+ libraries you need to run GTK programs.

GTK can be thought of as a subset of the whole GNOME thing. For
example, on the dyne:bolic CD, gTranscode is a GTK specific program,
which runs fine coz dyne:bolic has the GTK+ libraries.

But, jaromil is suggesting that Grip need the whole set of GNOME
libraries to run.

The thing which has always pissed me off about GNOME, is it needs a
whole bunch of libraries to work, not just Glib. Leave one out and you
get a bunch of error messages.

That said, there are several distros which package GNOME, so if you
are interested, you can check them out.

I encountered Grip on the ZenWalk distro, which currently also has a
LiveCD version. So if you have the bandwidth, you can make a LiveCD of
that and run Grip. I know, I know. It's like killing a whole cow to
get a sandwich.

Before I found Grip, I was using some shell script to rip CDs, which
was not very comfortable. So now I keep a copy of ZenWalk LiveCD
around for emergencies.

But you could always just download GNOME and stick it in your nest, I guess.

Confirm, jaromil?

Richard