:: Re: [dyne:bolic] 2.2 XRUNS !!!
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: jaromil
A: dynebolic mailinglist
Asunto: Re: [dyne:bolic] 2.2 XRUNS !!!

hi Mike and Andy,

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:37:52AM -0400, mike clemow wrote:
> Even docked, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that some of your RAM
> is being sucked up by a ramdisk with Dyne.

dyne has a very small RAM footprint, compared to other multimedia
systems: 48MB for a X desktop without acceleration, 24MB for a
desktop-less but complete system. While the ramdisk occupies 11MB of
ram - rounded up to more or less.

about my experience with low latency in dyne:II, i use the kernel and
the core system, compiled with the gcc 3.4.4 included, to run video
synching with zero-latency using hardware mpeg2 decoders
http://montevideo.dyne.org/trac.cgi/wiki/IvySync
and a C program in respawn on a tty.

i hear of succesful experiences by the hackers of
http://pudedyne.goto10.org with PD and Jack.

also i heard Paul Davis is planning to do something optimized with
Ardour 2.0 on it http://ardour.org i'd rather listen his opinion about
such low latency issues then :)

in general you can do many wonderful things with a gnu/linux system in
low-latency, like grabbing all kind of serial signals and process them
blazing fast, i'm sure some of us here did it well with linux 2.4 and
2.6 just got better and better.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org rasta coder, http://afrolinux.org