:: Re: [DNG] What are you using for a …
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What are you using for a firewall/router
On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 17:45:58 -0500
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have been working on getting a copy of OPNsense actually working here - -
> - presently
> cannot update the system and am getting no real guidance on how to fix the
> problem - - - but I digress.
>
> What do you use for your internet access?
>
> Router (if so what are you running)?
> Or are you running a firewall/router?
>
> (I'm not worried about a switch at the moment that's for later!)
>
> (Please - - - - I feel like I'm just banging my head against the wall and I
> don't have time to spend massive amounts of it learning all kinds of
> arcanery just because - - - I need things to work with not a lot of
> interaction - - - life is just too busy to want to just play with the toys
> - - - end rant!)
>
> Starting to feel more than a bit desperate!!!
>
> TIA

Hi,

I'm using both at home and work firewall/routers/access points
boxes setup with devuan (on a old Sophos Utm-425
and on a DIY box with Jetway NF592-Q170 (Intel Q170 Express)
motherboard).
The actual internet connections are made with appliances
of the ISPs (over wifi and over ADSL).
I't was a lengthy process to setup the first but you learn a lot.
As firewall I suggest absolutely arno-iptables-firewall, it is
very easy to setup and easy to customize (with a little of iptebles-voodoo).
On both boxes I run:

the firewall with geoip filtering
suricata IPC
chrony ntp services for my LAN
Dns with unbound
ad blocking through dns
openvpn
Wifi access points with hostapd
ssh
MIcrosoft Remote desktop

I never regretted to have spent the time needed
to learn the basics. I tried all the other firewall distros
out there but for a reason or another I was never fully
satisfied.

Ciao,
Tito