:: Re: [DNG] No sound from Firefox wit…
Author: Ken Dibble
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] No sound from Firefox with pipewire (and zoom breaks audio)
On 10/21/24 05:08, Johan Helsingius via Dng wrote:
> Ken,
>
>> I am not able to provide much help, but I have some recollection of
>> having to use
>> aplay to override the default firefox audio on an installation of
>> daedalus, thus accessing
>> alsa directly.
>
> Interesting. How did you do that?
>
>> If I recall, and don't bet on it, firefox is built with
>> support for alsa and pulseaudio,
>
> My understanding was that pipewire should support both pulseaudio
> and alsa interfaces/APIs. I might be wrong.

This is what happens when I try to use my memory.  Sorry for the mistake.

It was not aplay but apulse.

Again, if my poor memory works at all, I found this on a arch site.

Reference: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=283010

Where the firefox audio dependencies were being discussed.

There is another thread somewhere where firefox audio is being discussed,

unfortunately I cannot find it.

The method used was to override the firefox desktop entry.

by copying the desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications/ and
modifying the Exec line.

to be

Exec=apulse /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u

This method requires the default alsa sound device to be functional.

In this particular instance it was necessary to create an .asoundrc in
the home directory

for alsa to work properly.

Again, if I recall correctly, on this particular machine I was
attempting to figure out why the audio on

a machine upgraded to daedalus had quit working.  Some of the attempts
to fix it included the removal of

pulseaudio, the installation of pipewire, and others.

The final diagnosis had to do with the audio device not properly being
awakened after power saving.

Sorry for the mixup, just trying to share as much as possible to help.

Regards,

Ken