:: Re: [DNG] cross install bind mount …
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] cross install bind mount question
On Thu, Oct 17, 2024 at 03:54:37PM -0400, tempforever wrote:
> Haines Brown via Dng wrote:
> > I'm cross installing Devuan on a newly instaslled SSD. I've
> > cross istalled successfully before, but ran into trouble this time
> > trying to bñind mouning /dev.
> What is "cross installing" ?

Sorry I was not clearer. I'm using the system I'm on to install devuan
on another disk by emeans of debootstrap. One reason to do so is that
it wouid not interrupt my work. Another is that installing with the
installer on a key brought me to the point that the installer said it
would install efi on old disk. Since I feared this would make it
unbootable, I panicked

> > I'm told to bind mount /dev from my host system on top of /dev
> > in the target system. I'm told to use this optiion is dangerous.
> >
> > A question. Is this bind mount in fact optional?
> If you're chroot-ing into the target mount point, I believe this step is
> required.

As I thought. But saying it would be dangerous made me thing there
might be an alternative.

> > Another quetion: if not optinal what would be the comand? These don't
> > work:
> >
> >     \# mount --rbind /dev dev/
> >     \# mount --bind  /dev/ /mnt/devinst/dev
> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/devinst/dev
> mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/devinst/dev/pts

I tried these. Did't work because it couldn't find mount point. But it
exists:

    # ls /mnt/devinst | grep dev
    dev

> > Yet another question: if dangerou would I better of using makedev to
> > create device file for my new partitios and then bind mount them
> > individually as normal?
> I have no experience in this.  I don't foresee it as being dangerous.

My hesitation was because of the work involved (9 partittions)