:: Re: [DNG] Re (2): Modula 3 is not O…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Re (2): Modula 3 is not Oberon
o1bigtenor via Dng said on Tue, 1 Oct 2024 18:03:50 -0500

>On Tue, Oct 1, 2024 at 5:24 PM Peter via Dng <dng@???>
>wrote:
>
>> From: nick <nick@???>
>> Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 01:35:20 +1000
>> > ... was a shame they reduced the set datatype to something so
>> > generic as to be useless.
>>
>> Discussed in the mailing list a few years back. I don't know the
>> topic well enough to explain but the reasoning made perfect sense at
>> the time. If I can find a citation to the list archive, will forward
>> to you. Or you can go to the list and raise the topic again.
>>
>> Yes, learn both Ada and C; and any other language you have time for.
>>

>Sadly the days when I could work for 16 ro 18 or even 20 hours or more
>and be sharp
>the whole time have fallen out of vision in the distance in the rear
>view mirror.

Then use ChatGPT to do the initial research for you. Here's what
ChatGPT says about the question "":

Ada is a high-level programming language that was designed for
developing reliable and efficient software, particularly in systems
where safety and security are critical. Here are some key points about
Ada:

Origins
Developed in the 1970s: Ada was commissioned by the United States
Department of Defense (DoD) in the late 1970s as a response to the need
for a standardized language that could improve the quality of software
in defense applications.

Named After Ada Lovelace: The language is
named after Ada Lovelace, who is often regarded as the first computer
programmer.

Features
Strong Typing: Ada is known for its strong typing
system, which helps catch errors at compile time rather than at
runtime.

Modularity: It supports modular programming through packages,
which promote code reuse and organization.

Concurrency: Ada has
built-in support for concurrent programming, making it suitable for
real-time systems where multiple tasks need to run simultaneously.

Exception Handling: The language includes robust exception handling
features, which help manage errors gracefully.

Applications
Safety-Critical Systems: Ada is widely used in aerospace, military, and
transportation industries, where safety and reliability are paramount.

Real-Time Systems: Its concurrency features make it a good choice for
real-time applications, such as embedded systems.

Standards Ada 83, Ada
95, Ada 2005, Ada 2012: The language has undergone several revisions,
with updates that enhance its features and usability while maintaining
backward compatibility.

Compilers and Tooling Open Source and
Commercial Options: There are both open-source and commercial Ada
compilers available, such as GNAT, which is part of the GNU Compiler
Collection (GCC).

Learning Curve
Complexity: While Ada's features
provide powerful capabilities, they can also lead to a steeper learning
curve compared to simpler languages.

Overall, Ada is a powerful
language that emphasizes reliability and maintainability, making it a
strong choice for critical software systems.

From there you just keep refining questions. You can have a working
Hello World of any language in an hour or less with the help of ChatGPT.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com