:: Re: [DNG] unresponsive machine
Top Pagina
Auteur: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] unresponsive machine
On Sat, Sep 28, 2024 at 7:41 AM nick <nick@???> wrote:

> Well there could be many causes why you do not have the uptime you should
> have.
>
> What about hardware? I have a desktop that crashes from time to time. It
> used to be reliable but I had been coming to the conclusion that CPU, mobo
> or one of the memory sticks had gone bad. This idea was supported by the
> fact the machine sometimes fails POST. But lately I was in the BIOS setup
> and I saw a warning that the 3.3V is low (only 2.9V). So when i have time
> for troubleshooting ill check it with a multimeter and see about repairing
> or replacing the PS. Not anxious to do that as its a pricey 1000W corsair
> that i bought for a tidy sum on ebay but needs must. Anyway, I recommend
> you run on a different but similar HW platform and see if your issue goes
> away.
>
> Another thing that would concern me if running lots of heavy apps is
> memory overcommit. Not wanting to start any flame wars but i distrust
> present memory management strategies and the OOM killer fills me with
> dread, even though i only encounter it very rarely and usually because I
> did something silly like coding an unintentional fork bomb or whatnot. And
> maybe if you ensure your system has adequate swap it might help the issue?
>
> Just throwing a few things out there. I am sure you can resolve the issue
> eventually!!

Not a bad idea - - - except I really don't think so.

I'm running a:
1. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core proc
2. AMD Ellesmere 570X graphics card (it has 5 outputs!!!)
3. 64 GB of ram
4. NVME drive for the system
5. SSDs for /usr, /var/, usr/local, swap, /home
6. power supply was rated at 1500 or 1600 VA (which is total bs but that's
another story!!)

System is only somewhat over 2 years old.

So - - - dunno if its a hardware insufficiency although maybe - - - I might
be taxing the
graphics card too heavily (its a 7640 x 3000 pixel screen on X11).

back over to you