:: Re: [DNG] coredump et al
Góra strony
Autor: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Temat: Re: [DNG] coredump et al
On Sat, Sep 28, 2024 at 3:13 AM Martin Steigerwald <martin@???>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> o1bigtenor via Dng - 27.09.24, 15:23:28 CEST:
> > I complained to KDE that their program kwin, used by a lots of desktop
> > display editors (at least as I understand it), lists as supporting only
> > some 20 virtual desktops. (And I, or course, want more!!)
> >
> > So they are asking me to use coredumpctl after the next episode to give
> > them information as to what the problem might be. Now coredumptctl only
> > works on a systemd machine. I looked and found this
> > http://debian-packages.coredump.us/ it seems to be quite some outdated
> > (my guess is at least some 5 years old - - - likely more).
>
> Why did they ask for core dump? Did you experience a crash with more
> desktops?

Dunno why they asked - - - just know that they did.

Yes - - - my system goes unresponsive at somewhat regular intervals.
In fact - - I'm running the devuan 6.1.18 kernel instead of any newer
version because it gives me the longest up time.

My guess is that using lots of desktops with their own browser windows
fuels the issue. I had been running with having 4 separate browsers up
and found that having only 2 increased the uptime. I really dunno much
and there is noting in the log files that tells me anything as to causes.

> I prefer using activities over desktops. Of course it is possible to
> combine those, but with my laptop display next to bigger external display
> setup I do not need that.

Hmmm - - - If you have never experienced it I would suggest you find a
way to try a system with at least 3 if not more monitors. In fact with 4k
monitors, if you don't need 120Hz refresh, they are quite reasonable now.
You might find yourself ditching the laptop for when you're working
(grin!).

There is no way that I would want to go back to a single monitor for a
serious
work machine. Now for a reading/email kind of system - - - fine but I find
that even when I'm doing my bookkeeping - - - I have a terminal open for
the program, there is a text file that is where the data is entered, I have
my
copy of my account codes (a page in a document) and a calculator. Another
screen has a browser page for when I need to check something on official
pages. So that's for something simple - - - any time I'm doing some CAD
stuff that 4k screen is very very useful.
(I have already calculated that I wouldn't want a present 8k screen as it
would cause too much head tilt to see from the bottom to the top of the
screen so - - - if I were replacing monitors I would be moving to 3 - 4ks
at around the mid 40" size. Haven't been convinced that having a very
small pixel pitch is an asset.)

So - - - is there anyone with some knowledge as to what to use on Devuan
for coredumps - - - please?

TIA