:: Re: [DNG] Recovering startx
Página Principal
Autor: Bob Proulx
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Recovering startx
Haines Brown via Dng wrote:
> When I boot I was taken to a graphical display manager, slim,
> I believe, and a widow manager other than what I wanted. So I
> put fluxbox command in to .xsession, and now when I log in I
> get fluxbox.

Yes that will work.

> But unfortuantely I still get the graphical display manager.
> Purging slim didn't help. How do I avoid a graphical display
> manager and get back to startx command?

If you are still starting an "X Display Manager" such as xdm, lightdm,
slim, gdm3, and so forth then one of them is still installed. And I
know that if you knew what that was you wouldn't be asking. And also
unfortunately it may be a dependency of something else you have
installed.

What is in this file?

    cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager

That file is how multiple xdm programs communicate which one is the
one to actually start if multiple of them are installed. If you
purged the package then that file will be updated with the next one in
the list that would then default to it.

I would never suggest hacking that file to make the string there not
match any installed X Display Manager. But I have done that routinely
when I wanted them to be disabled. :-)

Bob