:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Radhitya via Dng - 19.09.24, 09:43:33 CEST:
> I use suckless dwm, Claws Mail, Mercury Browser, suckless simple
> terminal

I think a lot of thought went into the suckless tools, but I never tried
them myself.

Mercury and Thorium browser… you can never know all browser forks or can
you? I have seen the links posted elsewhere, but just for completeness
here:

https://thorium.rocks/mercury

https://thorium.rocks

I still use Firefox as packaged in Debian Unstable through Devuan Ceres
with quite some add-ons and several profiles for different use cases for
most of my stuff. For my private use I did away with the user.js thing,
cause… well just too much stuff did not work and it was becoming to complex
to maintain all the exceptions. I did a new profile for my main use…
simplified it a bit.

I did away with uMatrix for private use quite a while, the basically
unmaintained extension crashed the browser repeatedly. Interestingly in my
main browser profile for work on another laptop it still works okay. There
I have a special profile for Office 365 which limited blocking as otherwise
it would not work. I would prefer to do with out, but it is my employer's
decision.

I have read about Nextcloud Hub 9 aka Nextcloud 30 and from what I read I
think more and more it could basically replace (most of) Microsoft 365 in
a decentralized and better way. Their new feature to have federated video
calls between multiple Nextcloud instances is impressive. However I did
not yet upgrade… with the sheer amount of new features I am not sure
whether that thing is stable yet. I rather wait for a .1, .2 or so. As I
use Alpine Linux packages for most of Nextcloud, I will wait till 30
becomes available there anyway.

https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-hub9/

Their Nextcloud client also integrates quite nicely with Plasma desktop
and Dolphin file manager, but it still does use their own way for the main
status window which does not quite fit in.

Of course Nextcloud is quite all-in-one. For some Seafile or a combination
of Seafile, Baikal and some other tools may be a better alternative.
Especially as the share-and-sync file synchronization protocol in Seafile is
heavily inspired by Git and is said to be more reliable than what
Nextcloud has come up with so far.

But its amazing to see how basically all that centrally controlled cloud
crap can be replaced by on-site stuff that can be federated with other on-
site stuff elsewhere – at least when using Nextcloud. And it is even uses
open and standardized protocols for that.

I hope that more and more companies will start to see that potential and
also the cost savings it can provide in economically constrained times
like these times we are currently in.

--
Martin