Skribent: Marjorie Roome
Til: dng
Gamle-emner: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Emne: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
HI Martin,

On Mon, 2024-07-15 at 11:23 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As it popped up repeatedly in the KDE thread: Quite some of you use
> something different as KDE's Plasma. For various, I am sure, good
> reasons.
>
> I am curious: What do you use… and why? What are your practical
> experiences with what you use? Are there any challenges?

I use Cinnamon.

Part of that is because I migrated from pre-systemd Mint, having
plumped on Mint (<=17) for Cinnamon over Mate because I was
(unjustifiably) concerned about sticking with GTK2.

And before that I was using Ubuntu (<=10), which I abandoned over the
switch to Unity, before that I was using Gnome 2.

I have a 24" 16x10 monitor so have plenty of space for a dock bar at
the bottom and a bar at the top for icons for my apps menu, shutdown
menu, popular apps launcher, workspace switcher, hardware monitor,
notifications, network manager, weather, vorta backup, sound
(pulseaudio) and date/time.

The basic layout hasn't changed much over the change in distributions.

The popular apps launchers reflect my principal choice of apps:
Firefox, LibreOffice Writer and Calc, Evolution, System Monitor, Gedit,
Terminal and Files (Nemo): I don't program much these days, and mostly
just bash scripts.

--
Marjorie