Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Hi Didier, hi.

Didier Kryn - 20.09.24, 14:58:45 CEST:
> Le 20/09/2024 à 09:40, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > I find activities is one of the most neglected or unknown features of
> > Plasma. It is at the same time one of the best features I have seen in
> > any desktop environments so far, once I understood how to use them.
>      Ah! This reminds me one of the reasons why I dropped KDE, near 20
> years ago: it was when they came with KDE-3, I think, which introduced
> these cookie-like buttons in the corners or the screen, which where

Those buttons are long gone.

This all works differently than back then.

But AFAIR those buttons were for editing the desktop applets? But anyway…
long gone.

There has been quite some things I did not like. The Nepomuk/Virtuoso
thing was also such a thing. It simply did not really work and was an
extreme resource hog. Akonadi unfortunately at least partly still is. But
one does not need to use the KDEPIM apps, but can use something different.

And sometimes it took a long time, but often enough I found they learned
from feedback. I do not monitor GNOME closely, but I had the feeling that
it often enough it was: Their (devs) way and their way only. Period.

In some areas I also see with some developers in KDE community. Like for
example regarding the ugly vertical HTML/clear text bar in KMail. They
refused to remove it. But I still have KMail from KDE Gear 22.12, that is
from end of 2022, Qt 6 based newest KDEPIM is being worked on currently.
Maybe there is some improvement.

Anyway… yes… I agree… I also did not like those strange buttons.

Best,
--
Martin