:: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: ael
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Why use Exim?
On Mon, Sep 02, 2024 at 12:26:52PM +0200, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

> I haven't read that thread and I have never used something else than exim, so
> I just can tell you from the exim side: I use it on mail server since around
> 2003 having 150+ accounts and 60+ domains on it. I never had any problems with
> that software. Learning it can be demanding, but there is excellent
> documentation. It is very flexible, I got the impression you could even use it
> for bookkeeping if configured accordingly... :-)

I have tried to keep silent on this thread, but I have to agree. I have
used exim for a long time without problems. The documentation is
excellent.

However the debian default configuration is really complex and involved.
It works for one basic use case and is integrated with dpkg-upgrade and
so forth. It is full of MACROs which need a lot of work to understand.
The point seems to be that if that covers simple cases used by many
desktop users, and if it works, then you don't need to understand
anything about exim.

Using plain exim, it is much easier to configure for simple cases.

In my case, I had to modify the debian configuration a great deal to
adapt to my local use case which involved several "smarthosts" and also
a local network. I admit that it was a fair bit of work. And you need a very good
understanding of regular expressions.

the debian/Devuan default it gets really involved.

ael