:: [devuan-dev] Further testers wanted…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: devuan-dev, dng
Subject: [devuan-dev] Further testers wanted for systemd unit translation script
Hi,

The unit-translator I have been working on is progressing. Version 0.2.1 (with
support for openrc, cron, xinetd and inetd) is packaged and in Debian[1].

I have now got alpha quality LSB initscript support and would appreciate further
testers[2].

The scripts can be run directly from a cloned git repository by setting
UTRANS_DATA_DIR to point to the base directory.

For basic testing:-

UTRANS_DATA_DIR=./ ./utrans [-b <BACKEND>] /lib/systemd/system/unit.path /tmp

Alternative output backends can be specified with -b <BACKEND>. I imagine '-b
lsb' will be useful to many.

There is also utrans-rc which can handle installation and updating of generated
scripts with ucf(1). It also auto-detects the correct backend(s) to use. To run
it from within git, also set the environment variable UNIT_TRANSLATOR to point
to utrans itself. For a dry run, try:

UTRANS_DATA_DIR=./ UNIT_TRANSLATOR=./utrans ./utrans-rc -n

or to inspect the output:

UTRANS_DATA_DIR=./ UNIT_TRANSLATOR=./utrans ./utrans-rc -o /tmp

Significantly, it produces functional LSB scripts for packages where the
initscript has been removed (rsyslog, nftables, network-manager etc)

Comments, improvements and patches are welcome.

If anybody might be interested in writing a runit backend, I would be very
interested to have that. See backends/README.

Thanks

Mark

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/unit-translator

[2] https://git.devuan.org/leepen/unit-translator

--
Mark Hindley
GPG: 506C 15A4 2B0A F5A0 A854 23EE D28A 45BF 3287 D649