:: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why C/C++ ?
On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 02:50:57AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 09:41:48PM +0100, Peter Duffy wrote:
> > On Thu, 2024-08-22 at 09:14 -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> > >
> > > I was looking on my bookshelf for the O'Reilly CSS book just
> > > now. If I recall correctly, it is around 800 pages. There
> > > are many ways to accomplish a task in CSS and it's a
> > > challenge to learn a useful subset with uniform coding
> > > practices.
> > >

> > I've got the 4th edition of it ("CSS: The Definitive Guide") - it's now
> > 1057 pages.
>
> Does it take 1057 pages to define CSS? Or does it take 1057 pages to
> show users how to combine relatively few different mechanisms to
> achieve results?

I just had a look at the table of contents in the Amazon
preview. Yes, it does take all 1057 pages to cover the
capabilities of CSS. It's really that comprehensive.

It's a lot, even if you don't all the features. I found
Bulma to be rather clever in choosing a subset and coding
style that hides most of the underlying CSS. And I was
able to understand the documentation.

--
Joel Roth