:: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] CSS: was Why MVC: was Why C/C++ ?
Peter Duffy wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I think my own problems boil down to:
>
> CSS: I'm not a graphic designer and have no skills/training in that
> line. So I can see when something isn't right, but all I can do is try
> tweaking things until it (hopefully) looks better. Presumably a graphic
> designer would see that something was wrong and would know why, and
> what to do to fix it.
>
> Progressive enhancement: the tendency is always to imagine how the page
> will look on the desktop screen, and it's just a matter of having the
> self-discipline to force oneself to start off by imagining it on a
> mobile phone. Plus - the vast majority of online examples start with
> big screen and use media queries to modify down to small screen.
> Modifying them (effectively "inverting" most of the CSS definitions) to
> start with small screen and modify up to large ones is the mind-
> boggling bit.

I was looking on my bookshelf for the O'Reilly CSS book just
now. If I recall correctly, it is around 800 pages. There
are many ways to accomplish a task in CSS and it's a
challenge to learn a useful subset with uniform coding
practices.

I haven't dived very deep in CSS, but recently (well a
couple years ago already) had a good experience using
Bulma(*1) to make a page suitable for various display
formats.

1. https://bulma.io

--
Joel Roth