:: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
Author: dng@d404.nl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
On 11-08-2024 13:38, Dan Purgert via Dng wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2024, dng@??? wrote:
>> On 08-08-2024 16:51, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Still, to interface with anything at the level of C, you need
>>> something that will work at that level, be it C or some other
>>> systems language. I would have been happy if Modula 3 had
>>> caught on the way C did, but it didn't.
>>>
>>> -- hendrik
>> For micro controllers you have so many tools nowadays that C/C++ is not
>> always a necessity any longer. By example for the combination of ESP based
>> stuff and Home Assistant (home automation) I use ESP home. Works like magic
>> with yaml based program files and no C/C++ in sight.
> What do you think the firmware you have to load onto the ESP32 was
> written in?

Sure but ESPhome takes care of that. As user you do not have to touch a
single line of C to get it working. I go to https://web.esphome.io/,
connect my USB-programmer and am asked if I want to install the ESPhome
firmware that is all. From there I can do whatever I want from within
the Home Assistant integration including OTA updates. Of course I could
learn to program micro controllers with C but I have more projects to do
and choose the easy setup for micro controllers.

Grtz.

Nick