:: [DNG] Warning; GUI, wasRe: Soundsy…
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Warning; GUI, wasRe: Soundsystem mostly disappears in KDE Plasma on upgrade to Daedalus
On Fri, 9 Aug 2024 12:30:32 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2024 at 06:40:44AM -0400, Ken Dibble wrote:
> > It is my experience that the daedalus upgrade includes some type of
> > regression that affects sound.
> >
> > I never had problems with HDMI sound before daedalus, using intel
> > or radeon graphics.
>
> I too have had audio problems when upgrading from chaimaera to
> daedalus. I tried various things apparently without success, but
> after about a week, audio started mostly working properly.
>
> I have no idea what I did to make it work again.
>
> I don't use HDMI; I use an external USB audio interface.
> I have never gotten HDMI audio to work; when I use HDMI to send a
> video to my television I cannot get the audio to go through HDMI to
> the television; I have to rely on the computer's own ound system for
> the audio for the video.

Try using qasmixer. It is in the repository
On the RightHandSide under mixer device, selest HW:card
Below it will show the equivalent of cat /proc/asound/cards

Im my case, the HDMI outputs are one(LHS)of my dual monitors. YMMV, but
HDMI is usually a hard card#0 when there is a HDMI device in your
system.

What worked to turn on sound in my HDMI was I selected that device in
qasmixer and ticked/marked all of the IEC958 items listed there. That
meant that programs which ignore settings in ~/.asoundrc (user) or
0/etc/asound.conf (system) now had "sound".That is only steam in my
case. YMMV.

What is your USB device?

I'm finding that any USB sound device randomly disconnects. So far the
problem is persistent across a Sound Blaster 6X, a Simplecom 16in1
hub/docking station and an mbeat dongle.