:: Re: [DNG] 16 Bit pixel coordinate l…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] 16 Bit pixel coordinate limit in KDE software?
Martin Steigerwald - 24.07.24, 13:48:57 CEST:
> I will tell Krita to open up a 100000x100 pixel image… that way X
> coordinates would exceed 16 bit, while memory usage could still
> be low enough.

Interesting… very interesting:

Both 100000x100 pixels and 100x100000 pixels worked out of the box.
Instantly. I was able to scroll around and paint into several areas of the
image and scroll back to it to see whether what I painted is still there.

It saved out as Krita document and PNG image.

Gwenview opened the 100000x100 PNG image instantly. And just fine.
I was able to zoom into and scroll.

Gwenview also opened the 100x100000 PNG image, but I did not see any
of what I painted. Not sure what is going on there.

Actually I do not even know how well PNG format would cope with dimensions
like this. But it did not have any write error or any error message about
exceeding some format based limits.

Of course that does not yet prove whether all of KDE based software can
exceed 16 bit for pixel coordinates. And whether you could set a display
or screen to such a resolution.

But at least Krita and (partly?) Gwenview is able to work with beyond 16
bits for pixel coordinates.

Enough crazy testing for now. Feel free to do more research on it. I
wanted to do something else still, today. :)

Best,
--
Martin