:: Re: [DNG] audio issue on upgrading …
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] audio issue on upgrading to daedalus
On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 02:07:27PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 11:35:20PM +0200, Lorenz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Il giorno dom 21 lug 2024 alle ore 17:00 Hendrik Boom
> > <hendrik@???> ha scritto:
> > >
> > > I upgraded from chimaera to daedalus Friday night.
> > > Today for the first time I joined a meeting on zoom, using the zoom app
> > >    invoked from firefox-esr.
> > > The audio is very very quiet.  Hard to understand the spoken voice.
> > > Befre the upgrade I had no such problem.

> > Sometimes it happen that the audio level is reset (lowered) during
> > an upgrade.
> > Try 'alsamixer', use F6 to select the sound hardware (not pulseaudio) and check
> > levels there.
>
> alsamixer does not seem to respond when I press '+' or up-arrow to incease volume.
> What should I be looking for?

It does respond to '-' and '+' when I run it as root. But there is no change in perceived volume.
Makes me think there's some other volume control still hidden away.
alsamixer does seem to think the volume is already at max, though my ears perceive otherwise.
Yes, I did check the volume on my external amplifier. It's at max. Turning that one down makes audio even quieter,so I'm pretty sure it's the physical sound device.

-- hendrik