:: Re: [DNG] What's wrong with apt-get…
Author: Tomasz Torcz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What's wrong with apt-get upgrade? Was: help with docker - running entrypoint as root
On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 10:09:49AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 08/07/2024 à 16:06, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng said on Mon, 08 Jul 2024 20:26:58 +0900
> >

> > > Rather that running apt-get upgrade (which is generally advised against
> > > IIRC),
> > I'm not knowledgeable with the apt system. What's wrong with apt-get
> > upgrade?
>
>     I often run apt-get upgrade. I too would like to know why it isn't

It makes container images non-reproductible. Each build could end up
with different package versions. It breaks collaboration with others.
On the other hand, if you are building containers on the same machine,
apt-get invocation will be cached and not repeated. So if you build
container again after few months and expect to have fresh upgrades
applied, it won't work.

--
Tomasz Torcz           “(…) today's high-end is tomorrow's embedded processor.”
tomek@???                      — Mitchell Blank on LKML