:: Re: [DNG] Permissions question
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Permissions question
On Sunday 30 June 2024 at 22:28:57, Fred wrote:

> Hello,
>
> fred@aragog:~$ ls -dl /mnt/nas800
> drw-rw-rw- 2 root root 4096 Jun 29 14:45 /mnt/nas800
> fred@aragog:~$ cp ./hosts /mnt/nas800/
> cp: cannot stat '/mnt/nas800/hosts': Permission denied
> fred@aragog:~$
>
> Why can I not write to this directory as a regular user?

I believe you would need x permission on the directory as well, in order to
read the list of files which are in it. Without that, the cp command cannot
tell whether the hosts file already exists, possibly in order to prompt you to
over-write it.

Antony.

--
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.