:: Re: [DNG] Incus
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Incus
Hi!

o1bigtenor via Dng - 29.06.24, 17:17:36 CEST:
> > snapd is not LXD!? Did you run LXD on Ubuntu, maybe even as a snap?
>
> Only way to load LXD was using snapd (this was on Debian - - - Ubuntu
> was even more coupled AFAIK).

First version of LXD as Debian package appears to be 5.0.0-1 according to:

https://snapshot.debian.org/binary/lxd/

This could mean that Debian 12 Bookworm was indeed the first release with a
native LXD Debian package. I never would have installed LXD as a snap
package however.

Debian Stable aka 12 aka Bookworm has LXD package 5.0.2-5:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/lxd

There is no dependency to Snap.

In Devuan Ceres with lxd 5.0.2+git20231211.1364ae4-5, a newer version of
the package – the Devuan developers did not fork the package:

% apt install lxd
Installing:
  lxd

Installing dependencies:
libdqlite0 liblxc-common liblxc1t64 libsubid4 lxcfs lxd-agent lxd-client
squashfs-tools uidmap

[… I aborted the installation …]

No snap either. Not even as an indirect dependency.

So while it may have been true that once LXD was only available as a snap
package for Debian, this is not the case anymore.

BTW when trying out Incus I suggest the official Debian package. The one
from the Linux Container project came with a huge lot of unneeded
dependencies.

Best,
--
Martin