著者: Peter Duffy
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Yeah, I'm angry
On Sat, 2024-06-15 at 09:01 -0300, altoid via Dng wrote:

> The comparison you are drawing, ie: the state of things in imperial
> Russia in early 1917 vis-a-vis the state of things in Debian Linux in
> late 2019 makes no sense whatsoever.

I wasn't thinking about 1917. I was thinking about what happened
earlier, when "emancipation" was offered to the Russian people, and
they rejected it. Pyotr Tkachev (writing in 1874; quoted from Martin
Sixsmith: "Russia: A 1,000-year chronicle of the Wild East", p154):

"The people are incapable of building a new world that would move
towards the communist ideal. That can be done only by the revolutionary
minority . . . The people can never save themselves."

Lenin came to the same conclusion.

Does that kind of sound familiar?

If people want to use systemd, I'm fine with that. Provided that they
don't think they have a right to force me to use it as well.

> > ... possibility of forking systemd ...
> Knock yourself out.
>
> But you are forgetting that systemd flies in the face of absolutely
> *everything* Unix/Linux philosophy stands for and that it was
> invented as a *solution* looking for multiple problems albeit with
> the sole purpose of wrecking the Linux ecosystem from within.
>
> If you understood *that*, you would not be thinking about forking
> systemd.
>
> Save for the sole purpose of flushing it down the toilet.
> Which is where shit belongs.

Of course I understand and agree with that. If not, I wouldn't be
running devuan. And I absolutely agree that the idea of forking systemd
is disgusting.

I do think it would be an intriguing challenge to see if making systemd
optional was possible, and if it turned out that it could be achieved,
it might stir up the cesspit in possibly interesting ways. I'm not sure
whether that's sufficient justification to take on such a disgusting
task.

Sometimes the only way to challenge prevailing and clearly erroneous
views is to do disgusting things. Dr. Barry Marshall couldn't convince
the medical community that Helicobacter pylori was the principal cause
of stomach ulcers. So he had a culture of it made up, and then drank
it. And he developed a stomach ulcer.

Agree that this is OT and I'll shut up now.