:: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
Góra strony
Autor: ognen
Dla: Darius Rosotic, dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
Seconded for FreeBSD. When systemd hoved into view I put effort to move
all my servers off Linux to FreeBSD, a migration which went very well.

A couple of months ago I moved my workstation over to FreeBSD as well,
my first BSD Desktop.

The desktop experience so far is good, some things work better then
Linux (e.g. audio is seamless) and generally things feel more
integrated. It actually reminds me more of OSX than Linux in that
regard.

At the same time other things don't work as well as Linux. For example
suspend to RAM is a bit hit and miss, depends on your hardware. Reminds
me a bit of Linux in the 00's, you should pick your hardware to make
sure it has full compatibility with FreeBSD.

Also be prepared that some software that works on Linux does not work
on BSD. Despite being open source a lot of software out there assumes
Linux/GCC and therefore uses a lot of non-portable features.

Also the community is quite friendly and helpful, a lot of information
can be found on their forums ( https://forums.freebsd.org/ ) which I
would recommend you peruse or post to if you have FreeBSD specific
questions. There are a few threads there about Linux people curious
about FreeBSD and you may find a lot of your questions already answered
there.

У пет, 14. 06 2024. у 11:09 +0200, Darius Rosotic via Dng пише: