:: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
Góra strony
Autor: dng@d404.nl
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] [OT] which BSD?
On 14-06-2024 10:53, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Yes, I know I'm OT and that talking about other OSs here isn't exactly
> elegant... and I apologize
>
> But I have an unused laptop available, and I am curious to try a BSD OS.
>
> The idea is towards a robust, multipurpose system, preferably also
> attentive to privacy and security, with wide availability of packages, with a
> lightweight environment (gtk, lxde/xfce...) ... well I guess you understand
> what I mean... (I have Devuan+LXDE on all my computers...)
>
> But BSD is a world I don't know... However I have identified, based on the
> little research I have done, some versions:
> - FreeBSD
> - OpenBSD
> - NetBSD
>
> So, in short, I ask for a suggestion on which BSD to try.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
> alexus

As always it depends of your intended use of the OS. For a pc/laptop I
would go for GhostBSD (based on FreeBSD) with its desktop orientation.

For general servers the best choice imo is FreeBSD because of its better
hardware support. For very secure systems I would opt for OpenBSD. And
for a server in a mixed environment I would opt for NetBSD. And for a
firewall appliance I would go for pfSense or OPNsense.

Grtz.

Nick