:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 08:15:19PM +0200, karl@??? wrote:
> Kevin Chadwick:
> > Likely not much help but OpenBSD has static dev files and their
> > hotplugd listens to events from the kernel on /dev/hotplug
>
> You can have basically the same in linuxland, use a static /dev and
> do (excerpt from https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/mdev.txt):
>
> Here's a typical code snippet from the init script:
> [0] mount -t proc proc /proc
> [1] mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
> [2] echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

Unfortunately debian's 6.7 kernel doesn't have /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug :(

> and possible add mdev -s to fill /dev.

I guess I'll then also need to get a good /etc/mdev.conf in order to
have "mdev -s" load disk drive modules?

Is there a "standard" /etc/mdev.conf somewhere? The installer needs to
be prepared to handle "any" system as the media may reside in any kind
of disk or cdrom drive. (But the preamble only needs to be able to
load the disk modules while network and graphics etc is left for the
actual installer initrd to deal with)

Ralph.